Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Is This Thing On?

Wow, I guess I left some of you guys hanging after that post proclaiming I would be back in Japan in 2017. Long story short, I did go back. However, things didn't work out the way I thought they would and there were issues involving the work visa. I won't get into the dirty details here, but it was certainly not the way I had expected things to unfold but that's how things go sometimes. While I was there, I tried reaching out to other English schools but the catch there is that most English schools hire teachers from outside of Japan for the very purpose of finalizing documentation (including visas) before that individual arrives in Japan. Crossing t's and dotting i's as it were. Most schools that will hire you while you're in Japan are counting on you already having a visa that allows you to legally work within the country.

So yeah, it's been a couple of years since. It was scary giving up my job (yet again), going back to Japan and not having it work out then having to return and get my job back. Luckily the company and people I work for are very understanding and I have a good relationship with them. They see the value of having me on the team regardless of my wanderlust. I've just been busting my butt in the mean time, dwindling my student loan down significantly from where it used to be and that was the main reason for leaving Japan in the first place. When you have a goal in mind and you set out to complete it, you can often lose sight of it if it takes too long. I think that makes sense. Basically, my goal was not a short-term one and as time passes, life changes and you end up reassessing things in life. I've been distracted a few times, but I think I'm back on the right path. Getting free from my student loan debt and moving forward with life. I honestly believe it means returning to teaching because I miss the way that line of work made me feel. I'll keep you all posted as things occur.


No comments:

Post a Comment