Friday, July 7, 2017

Official Like A Referee Whistle

So yes, it's true. I am going back to Japan. It's a strange feeling to say the least. I told myself, back in 2014 when I left Japan for the States, that I would be back someday. It's been around two and half years since I made that proclamation and during that time, I've gone through quite the roller coaster of emotions in regard to that decision. There was a long stretch, in the beginning, where Japan was all I though about. It was my motivation, my drive, my inspiration, etc., for working as hard as I could while here in the States in order to get out of debt and return to Japan in a much better financial position. I really thought that feeling I had would be unwavering. However, time changes all and I'm certainly not immune to its affects. I have grown a new appreciation for my home country and all that it offers. I have also been disheartened at a lot of the negative things that come from this place, especially given the current state of nation. That being said, hasn't it always been that way? I'm not making excuses for the US of A, but certainly as long as I've been alive, there has, and always will be, bad lumped in with the good.

I like knowing where I finally stand with this country though. Even if I am leaving for a while to experience Japan in a way I wasn't able to previously, I know that America is a place worth coming back to. Keep in mind, I also don't know what the future holds. Please reread my comments regarding change. That applies to my views as well.

I'm not going to be working for the same company in Japan but I will be in the same city as before. I know some of you might find that strange, but I find a strong sense of comfort in knowing where I'll be and having a support group there waiting for me. The general experience won't be the same either so I still feel I have a lot to look forward to. I'm certainly feeling more prepared this go around than the first time. In 2011, I felt like I didn't have anything to lose and it was almost like I was forcing myself into going. Now, it's really my choice and I'm more prepared.  The prospect of teaching isn't freaking me out, nor is navigating the not-so-mean streets in a language not my own.

The next post will be coming to you from hot and humid J-land!

No comments:

Post a Comment