Sunday, April 8, 2012

D-day has arrived...kinda, sort've

And by D-day, I mean decision day. I recently (yesterday), got my contract renewal survey in the mail. This survey basically asks me whether or not I want to stay in Japan for another year of teaching or if I want to decline and return to the states. There are also a few other options; 3-months, 6-months and a 9-months renewal. My gut reaction upon getting this in the mail was basically just a feeling of pressure. There are still 5 months left on my current contract but the company is only giving me until the 21st of April to make this decision. Part of me thinks that's crazy because a lot can happen in 5 months and feelings can change. However, I know they have a lot of work to do on their side with finding a new replacement teacher and processing various visa and immigration paperwork. Needless to say, I'm feeling a bit anxious about this decision and I'm quite torn as well.

Why am I torn? Well, as many of you know, I really like Japan and I have for a long time. I've spent a large part of my life (more than I'd sometimes like to admit) trying to find a way to get over here. So I found that way and here I am. Now, is it everything I thought it would be? Not exactly. I don't have the freedom I thought I'd have in terms of traveling the country and I'm in a rural location. I'm not opposed to countryside Japan, but I definitely have a desire to be somewhere a little more urban, especially considering I've gotten used to that coming here from Los Angeles. I just find it more exciting. So what am I getting at? Well, I've applied for a marketing job in Tokyo and I'm pretty darn sure that if I got it, I wouldn't hesitate to take it. It's quite rare to find a job here in Japan that isn't as an English instructor and still pays well (for us foreigners anyway). The way I feel now is that if I don't get a job somewhere more urban (Tokyo or even Osaka for example), that I'll more than likely be heading back to LA. (By the way, I'm listening to Perfume's most recent album "JPN" as I write this post. It's quite catchy electro J-pop). Another option I'm considering is applying to GABA. It's still teaching, but it's got plenty of locations in Tokyo. You can create your own schedule and it's one-on-one instruction, which I think suits me better than a full class of screaming children. I do enjoy teaching English, but to those that really want to learn and have a genuine interest. Not so much for a group of kids where a majority of them are there because their parents want them to be there and they themselves hate it. So the idea of teaching someone who paid their own hard-earned money to learn English from a private instructor really intrigues me and I think it could be far more rewarding.

I've had very interesting experiences here in Japan so far; some bad and some good. I know for certain now that teaching large groups of children English isn't in my blood, so to speak, but that's something I'd never have known if I hadn't tried. I simply don't have the patience for it and I know that about myself. No big deal, it just is what it is. Some people aren't cut out for construction jobs...you get my point. Per usual, I'll keep you all informed as to my next step, but for now, keep hanging on to the edge of your seat.

My train's home are often like this.
My boy Matt runnin' his crepe shop.
French salad flavored chips. Umm...
This makes me laugh...though I'm not sure why.
Damn I look good here.
I don't remember what this tasted like.
The double-down! Named the Double Chicken Fillet here.
It is what it is.
Matt gettin' ready to do work.
Korean snackies. Topoki...sweet and spicy...oh and tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment