Sunday, January 29, 2012

Recovering nicely

Ahh, it's been about a week since my last post and in that short amount of time I've gotten another cold. I saw the signs fairly early this time around and made a trip to the drugstore to get the proper goods. Thanks to a Japanese friend of mine, I was able to get the type of medicine that I needed (sinus meds) in order to make a preemptive strike. I also stocked up on vitamin C drops and good ol' Halls lozenges. The sickness here hits me hard in the sinus region and I'm often hockin' up phlegm and blowing snot out of my nose until it passes. My apologies for the somewhat graphic description. I mentioned in my last post that I'm sick of this weather and I still stand by that. My body  hates it and I'm just ready for the sun and the warmth that comes with it.

I also spoke about being responsible for the icebreaker welcome activity at the staff meeting that occurred this past week and I'm happy to say that it went over quite well. The meeting itself was alright I suppose, but it's always nice to have all the teachers together in one spot so we can chat and catch up on things. We use that time to pick each others brains as to what we're planning in regard to the job itself and our future involvement...if in fact there is any. As it turns out, most of the current NT's that I work with are finishing up their time here with the company. It appears it's time for most of them to return to their real lives and they all indeed have things waiting for them, whether it be a relationship or a different destination that interests them. I seem to be the only one in the group that's here for financial reasons.

Two days this past week were spent team-teaching with two of my currents, with me traveling out to their schools. With Rachel, I taught one of her classes and it was a bit challenging only because I was still new into my sickness and my throat was strained. The kids were great though and quite attentive. The next day (Friday) I went to teach with Ji-yeun and since she had a four-lesson day, I taught two of her classes. If it's a three-lesson day, the visiting NT teaches one class. So the two lessons I taught for Ji-yeun were interesting because the students were quite young, with the first class being hyper but good and the second class was super shy and quiet. One kid in the hyper class was telling me that his penis looked like a sausage. I just stared at him trying not to laugh and I looked at Ji-yeun and said, "you're aware of what he's saying right?'. This same kid had boogers smeared all over his nose and top lip. I wonder what his home life is like. Yesterday, I went to one of my schools to observe the JT's lessons. The last class of the day consists of mostly 11 year old kids and they seem to like me a lot. One girl in particular always grabs onto me and she made sure I was involved in every aspect of the JT's lessons. Then, when I had to leave to catch my train, the JT said, "say goodbye to Jason sensei. He has to catch his train now.", and the whole class gave a collective moan of disappointment which made me feel good. I guess I'm doing something right with some of these kids.

Mochi, cream roll cake. Bomb.

Wings...duh.

This was totally disgusting.

OG!

Thanks guys!

Oi vey.

1 comment:

  1. "This same kid had boogers smeared all over his nose and top lip. I wonder what his home life is like."

    LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete