Monday, December 19, 2011

1,000 hits later

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to visit this blog and read my posts, that includes all you bots out there. You've all contributed to what is now 1,000 hits. Joy. I'm officially on winter vacation, which is awesome for obvious reasons. I haven't had a winter vacation since my school days, so this is certainly a welcome blast from the past. So far I'm one day into my vacation and I've used that time to do a little Christmas shopping and TV viewing. If you haven't seen it yet, Breaking Bad is a show worth checking out. I just finished season 3 and oh boy, what a cliffhanger that was! I highly recommend it. I'm also watching the current season of The Big Bang Theory, which I just started, and American Horror Story. AHS is very strange and it's really intriguing to the point where you want to keep watching to see what happens next. It feels like horror movies from the past. Old-school vibe for sure and the editing is interesting.

Enough TV nonsense, my Christmas plans are official. I'll be heading to Fukuoka tomorrow to spend time with my lady friend and I'll have my first Christmas in Japan, the way the Japanese do it; a bucket of fried chicken from KFC and Christmas cake for dessert. They don't really do turkey here, maybe it's the lack of ovens in the kitchen, but the tradition, and I'm not joking, is to chow down on some KFC chicken. KFC gets so busy at this time of year that they actually take reservations for chicken orders. The complete opposite in America where I'm pretty sure KFC is closed on Christmas with no signs of life, aside from a trash-pickin' hobo. It's certainly different from what I'm used to, but hey...when in Rome.

After that, the girlfriend and I will be heading out early, the day after Christmas, to Osaka via train. We'll be spending a couple of days there, with one of those days dedicated to fun at Universal Studios Japan. Supposedly they made it all pretty-like for the holidays, so it should be nice to walk around there and soak up all that holiday cheer. I may not be able to go home this year for the holidays, but I'm happy to still be with someone I care about this time of year and to not be working. Not too shabby right? Anyway, if I don't post before Christmas, have a wonderful holiday and I'm sure we'll be in touch (to those I know of course).

Not too shabby!

Play Santas, play!

College students parade through town.

Universal Studios in Japan is in the mood.

Maybe you thought I was kidding.

Bow before MEGA-SANTA!

Santas holding on for dear life.

Jolly fat man around town.

No comments:

Post a Comment